Thursday, September 17, 2009

Disney's New Business Plan: Scare Little Kids, Take Parents' Money


Walt Disney Studios has announced that in collaboration with filmmaker Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy 2, Pan's Labyrinth) they will be launching Disney Double Dare You, a new production label to create new animated films with "chills and thrills for audiences of all ages". Del Toro, who is currently directing both Hobbit adaptations, will serve as the label's producer and occasionally direct certain projects.

Nightmare Before Xmas wasn't bad. I could probably watch it in theaters two or three more times.

Boss Mouse is taking no prisoners. First the comic book nerds, now the Hot Topic goths. Who's next? Gamers? Hipsters? Vegans? Whatever the hell people who still listen to Kid Rock call themselves?

I'm not surprised to see del Toro working for Das Maus. At the rate they're going we can never be sure who already works for him and doesn't know it. I've been unemployed for 3 months now but I still read up on their dress code and drug policy from time to time. Just in case they know something I don't.

The first project under development for the new label is called "Trollhunters", an original story by del Toro which he will produce. I wonder if Danny Elfman is actually going to wait for the call or if he's already making travel arrangements.

To read all the nice things Disney paid del Toro to say about them go here.

1 betches:

Jason said...

This actually makes me really pleased. I've thought that Disney's squeaky clean line up of media has been getting a little old. I'm much more in the line of the likes of Neil Gaiman and such who create literature and media for children, but treating them more like adults. I think kids have much more capabilities to deal with darker material. Gaiman's Coraline for example is a great kid's horror book. His Graveyard book is also plenty of fun.

Post a Comment